Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Licensing

I don't understand why some people who aren't making a profit by coding/writing want to restrict the ways other people use it. To me, it makes the most sense to let anyone do anything they want with (the very small, useless amount of) things that I've made--code, essays, etc--even not acknowledge me. So, I hereby declare that anything I have written in the past (I can't talk about the future) can be used for any purpose, but without any warranty, without even the warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. This, as far as I can tell, is more permissive than the Factor license (a BSD license), which requires that the license and a note of authorship be distributed with it. Just do whatever you want

Realistically, I don't think anyone will sue me because I allowed my software to be redistributed without its license and they found it to be unmerchantable or unfit for a particular purpose. So I'm not worried. If you ask me in the future, I'll probably license any future writing/software the same way.

No comments: